Sunday, March 18, 2018

My Top 5 The Legend of Zelda Games

    Hello again everyone! Today I will be taking a look at my top five games from The Legend of Zelda series. To be honest, I can't do a full ranking on all the games because I have not played a few of the handheld ones (DS/3DS). So to do a full blown list on those wouldn't really be fair. Keep in mind this list is by no means fact. It is just my opinion. Let's get right into this..... and uh.... Spoilers ahead!

#5: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)


    Link's Awakening is the first Zelda game I have any real memory playing. The game's story always intrigued me as it was all a dream. For those of you who don't know, before the title screen of Link's Awakening you see Link on a ship caught in a massive storm. The storm eventually claims Link's boat and an unconscious Link washes up on Koholint Island. Only it never happened that way. Not going to go much more into the story, but that is one thing of this game that always intrigued me. It's really unique. Adding to that uniqueness is the number of random Nintendo characters that make an appearance. Yoshi makes an appearance as a doll, Goombas, Piranha Plants, Boos, Pokeys, Cheep Cheeps, Shy Guys (called Mask-Mimic), Kirby (called anti-Kirby), and Bloopers can all be found in the game as well as a Chain Chomp that will join you for a time. On the beach you will also run into enemies that look like Gordos from the Kirby series as well. It's not just all these fun appearances and story that makes me love this game, but also the gameplay itself.

    For a Game Boy game, it plays really, really well. It fits right in with the feel of the original game on the NES and even A Link to the Past on the Super Nintendo. The difficulty is there too, but is never downright unfair. The graphics for Game Boy are great and as is always the case with Zelda games, the music is great! I could go on and on about Link's Awakening, but that's for another time! Onto number 4.

#4: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)


    Still considered one of the best Zelda games of all time, A Link to the Past remains one of my favorite in the series. I remember the first time I played it and my reaction. I was so used to playing Link's Awakening that young me hadn't really given a Zelda game on the Super Nintendo any thought. I knew it was out there, but for some reason, I didn't really gravitate to it right away. Probably because I was fully engrossed with the Donkey Kong Country games and Super Mario All Stars to really care at the time. I did finally get the game and when I popped it into my Super Nintendo my brain basically melted. The game is beautiful. The game sounds beautiful. The game plays beautifully. For a top down Zelda game it is still, I think, the best out there. Now that all of that is out of the way, here is why this game fits into my number 4 spot.

    A Link to the Past is a massive adventure that expands two realms. It took the formula of the original on the Nintendo Entertainment System, made it more friendly for everyone while not killing the difficulty, and expanded on every other aspect. It is not as free reign style as the original and you will certainly want to follow an order to things, but there is still minimal hand holding. There is still a ton to explore and new ways of exploring are also introduced. When you finally grab the master sword and really set out on your journey you feel ready to take on something grand. It's these senses of accomplishment and want that set A Link to the Past apart from many other games of this style. I'm not even going to mention the incredible story.... Oh wait... Just did....

#3: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)


    This game is widely considered one of the greatest video games ever made, so of course it was going to end up in my top five. Ocarina of Time was the first 3D Zelda game that hit the market. No, not hit the market, take over the market. This game was so big when it came out and still is. The story is incredible. The music is incredible. The graphics gave all new meaning to the word adventure. The game is nearly perfect in so many ways.

    My favorite thing about this game is the journey itself. From an important beginning to a seven year time jump to returning to the past after having righted the future, the story is amazing. It is full of emotion, full of fun, and full of that sense of adventure. At this point progression was made pretty streamlined, so you don't have as many options as to where to go and when, but the story makes up for that as you learn more by simply progressing. This game used to be my second favorite in the series. I didn't think anything other than my favorite would ever take it's place, but Nintendo did something. Something glorious!

#2: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)


    Something glorious indeed. Nintendo took the story driven formula of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, The Windwaker, and all the other 3D Zelda games and literally threw it out the window. Then they decided to bring back a formula that had lain dormant for a long time. When you start the game you will be introduced to a tutorial of sorts. This tutorial will teach you the basics of the game, but not directly. Want to know how to cook? Here's a hint of a pot with a fire under it. Want to know about different climates? Climb this mountain and figure out why you're suddenly freezing to death. Want to know how to increase your life and stamina? Visit these shrines and figure it out from there. All of that is just the tutorial part of the game.

    From then on it is open world exploring. The story of Breath of the Wild is not directly given outside of the main objective. Every aspect of how you go to the beginning of the game is shrouded in mystery that can only be discovered by traversing a devastated Hyrule. This is a massive change from the other 3D Zelda games that pointed you where to go and when. The game is able to do this because there simply is nobody to tell a story. You find your memories of a hundred years ago, but the story in game is whatever you make of it and that is the greatest part of this game. Of course the graphics are pretty, the music (what little there is) is pretty, and the gameplay is wonderful too. This game is easily one of my favorite games of all time and is one I still have to go back to and uncover so much more, but there is just one ahead of it...

    Before typing a bit about my all time favorite Zelda game, I want to give a couple of games a shout out. The first is the original The Legend of Zelda on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Before Breath of the Wild came out, this game was on my top five. One of the biggest reasons it's not anymore is because Breath of the Wild took everything about it and expanded on it, right down to being thrown right in with little knowledge on what to do. It is still a fantastic game though and one that any fan of this series should experience. The second is The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS. This game is the sequel to A Link to the Past and keeps the same top down style. It was great to see this style return and the item rental system was a very interesting new mechanic. The game itself is great too and really does feel like you are back in the same Hyrule that existed in A Link to the Past.

#1: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64)



    The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask is the sequel to Ocarina of Time and is my favorite Zelda game to this point. I am a huge fan of games that have a dark tone as well as horror games and things of that nature, so Majora's Mask grabbed my attention as soon as it came out. The game is creepy, depressing, ambitious, and rewarding all at the same time. I reviewed this game way back when I first started this blog and it is one that I meant to look back on before life got way too busy this past fall. There are all kind of theories about this game ranging from Link being dead in it to it representing the stages of grief. Who knows if any of the theories are true, but it's easy to see why so much spawns from this game.

    I said the game is rewarding and depressing all at the same time. To keep spoilers low here... The main mechanic in the game is time. You have three days to defeat the Skull Kid in possession of Majora's Mask, but it is impossible to do so. Luckily the Ocarina of Time has the power to turn the clock back to day one by playing the song of time. So what that means is if you reunite a couple that has been separated on the third day, you feel great and happy for them. Suddenly you realize time is running out and have to play the Song of Time. By playing it, you tear the couple apart as everything resets back to how it was on day one. It's a terrible feeling, but one the game forces you to do over, and over, and over, and over until you free the four guardians (Luckily they do not reset once freed). While Termina may not be as big as Hyrule, there is still plenty to do and plenty to collect.

    I understand that this game is not for everyone and that many people have issues with the time mechanic, but to me this is my favorite Zelda game. Is it the "best" in terms of graphics, gameplay, etc.? No, but I enjoy it more than the others and that is what matters most. I will be doing that look back at this game in the not too distant future and there I will explain a lot about the game. As always thank you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment